Care at home
Most people with a life limiting illness want to stay living in their own home. Our community teams are here to support you to do that. Hospice specialist palliative care community teams provide a wide range of services for patients and their family, whānau and carers who are living with a life limiting condition.
We work together alongside your GP and other healthcare professionals to provide advice on symptom management, emotional care and to support you to make decisions about your current and future care. We offer different levels of care, depending on your needs. We will visit you wherever you are - you may be living in your own home or in a residential care facility.
Hospice has a holistic approach to care. This means our teams are made up of a wide range of professionals who work together to meet your needs. Our teams are made up of nurses, social workers, counsellors, doctors, cultural liaison, spiritual support, pharmacists (Hibiscus Coast and North Shore) and complementary therapists (North Shore and Warkworth Wellsford).
Our care includes:
• Safe, compassionate, respectful and professional support
• Assessing your needs and working with you and your family, whānau to develop individual plans of care.
• Help with symptom management.
• Support to assist you and your family, whānau access other services and resources as you need them.
• Support from a Palliative Medicine Doctor when needed.
• Ongoing emotional, social and spiritual support from our Patient and Family Support team.
• Communication with other health professionals such as your General Practitioner and/or medical specialist.
• Referral to other services – e.g. home help, personal care, long term rest home or hospital level care facilities and respite care.
• Connecting you with skilled support volunteers who can provide a range of services that may help, i.e. help driving to appointments, extra support at home. Simply ask your care team how we can support you.
You all made it possible for him to stay at home, which is where he desperately wanted to be and I had that extra treasured time with him.